Vitamin B1, Whole Blood - Recommended

Abbrev Code:VB1WB   
Order Code:LAB745Order Name:Vitamin B1, Whole Blood
Synonyms:Thiamine, Whole Blood
Methodology:High performance liquid chromatography
CPT Codes: 84425 x1
Turnaround Time:Specimens are sent to reference laboratory Mon-Sat; results are reported in 2-4 days.

For tests developed and validated by ARUP (previously referred to as Compliance Statement B, C or D). This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by ARUP Laboratories. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This test was performed in a CLIA certified laboratory and is intended for clinical purposes.

Collection Instructions

Specimen:Whole blood
Optimal Volume:3 mL
Minimum\Peds Volume:0.6 mL
Container:Purple (EDTA)
Alternate Containers: Green (lithium heparin, no gel), Green (sodium heparin, no gel)
Causes for Rejection:Non-frozen samples. Plasma separator tubes. Glass tubes. Clotted specimens.

Processing and Shipping

Specimen Processing:Do not centrifuge. Aliquot 3 mL, 0.6 mL minimum whole blood into an ARUP standard tube. Freeze whole blood within 4 hours. Critical Frozen. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
Shipping Instructions:Ship on dry ice.
Stability:4 hours refrigerated; 6 months frozen. Room temperature specimens are unacceptable.
Test Performed at or Referral Lab Lab Sendouts  (ARUP)
Referral Lab number:80388


Reference Range:70-180 nmol/L
Use:Approximately 80% of thiamine present in whole blood is found in red blood cells. The concentration of thiamine diphosphate (TDP), the primary active form of vitamin B1, is measured in this assay. Approximately 90% of vitamin B1 present in whole blood is TDP. Thiamine and thiamine monophosphate, which compromise the remaining 10%, are not measured.

Click HERE to Report test errors or omissions.
*If no email program is associated with this computer, please contact:
[email protected] for TestID: 2691"